Re: [pcre-dev] Using the Google C++ PCRE code

Author: ph10
To: Callanan, Colin C.
CC: Sowrinaidu, Elavarasan \(TS R&D\), pcre-dev@exim.org, Udayashankar, Rashmi
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] Using the Google C++ PCRE code
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Callanan, Colin C. wrote:

> So I set about looking for a more recent version of this C++ wrapper
> that we'd been using, but I couldn't find it on the www.pcre.org site
> or on code.google.com, I can only find the regular C language PCRE.

The current PCRE source file download includes the C++ wrapper, which is
bundled with the C language code.

Heads up 1: the C++ wrapper is no longer maintained, as the original
maintainer moved jobs and nobody has taken it up. None of the PCRE
maintainers are C++ programmers.

Heads up 2: shortly (around Christmas) there will be a completely new
API for PCRE released (called PCRE2). This will not have a C++ wrapper.
I now feel that any C++ wrapper(s) should be maintained as separate
project(s).

Aside: Other people have produced different C++ wrappers. See, for
example, https://github.com/YasserAsmi/regexp.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel