Re: [exim] From and Return-Path rewrite problem

Author: Bata Degen
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] From and Return-Path rewrite problem

On 10/07/2014 07:00 PM, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Hi Bata,

Hi Klaus,

thanks for taking the time!

> Am Mo den 6. Okt 2014 um 13:08 schrieb Bata Degen:
>
>> It works BUT the From-Header is overwritten to something like this:
>> From: www-data <www-data@???>. The domain3.com is also legit on
>> this server but not the domain I want to be used.
>
> Have a look at the trusted_users or trusted_groups settings. In debian
> you manage that by setting MAIN_TRUSTED_USERS and/or MAIN_TRUSTED_GROUPS
> in /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02_exim4-config_options (if you use the great
> split feature, debian provides).

I will look into that. I still have to find out how these settings will
be compiled (if I got it right) into the
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated. Do I have to insert "hardcoded"
values into the /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/02_exim4-config_options and then
restart Exim? Could you provide me with an example? In my config they
are not (?) set. It looks like this (excerpt).

MAIN_TRUSTED_USERS = uucp
trusted_users = MAIN_TRUSTED_USERS
trusted_groups = MAIN_TRUSTED_GROUPS

> If there is further stuff you might find it below
> /etc/exim4/conf.d/rewrite/.

This is what the rewrite config essentially looks like. Seems untouched.

.ifndef NO_EAA_REWRITE_REWRITE
*@+local_domains "${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                   {$value}fail}" Ffrs
# identical rewriting rule for /etc/mailname
*@ETC_MAILNAME "${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{/etc/email-addresses}\
                   {$value}fail}" Ffrs
.endif

>> Above all, I need to know from where Exim possibly retrieves domain
>> names. I've already checked /etc/mailname and /etc/hostname. They are
>> IMHO okay!
>
> Under debian there is also /etc/mailname. For further stuff you have to
> look inside the configuration itself.

What I found out was that in the autogenerated config mentioned above
the variable DCreadhost is set to domain3.com which would explain some
things. Still I don't know how to change the settings such that the
autogenerated config changes. There's a big warning not to change the
file manually.

Thanks to all of you for further help!
Bata