Re: [exim] Spool format error

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Matt
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spool format error
Comments inline...

Matt wrote:
[...]
> I tracked this down to a line length error in the spool file. Manually editing the spool file allowed exim to deliver it successfully:
>
> Broken:
> 024 Subject: Invoice 276455
> 064 X-PHP-Script: ubhugueufi058F From: "Sue Mockridge"<sue.mockridge@???>
> 062 X-Sender: "Sue Mockridge"<sue.mockridge@???>
>
> Fixed:
> 024 Subject: Invoice 276455
> 087 X-PHP-Script: ubhugueufi058F From: "Sue Mockridge"<sue.mockridge@???>
> 062 X-Sender: "Sue Mockridge"<sue.mockridge@???>

Surely this should have been (not checked the actual line length numbers):-

024 Subject: Invoice 276455
025 X-PHP-Script: ubhugueufi
058F From: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>
062 X-Sender: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>

although I suspect there is missing content on the end of the
X-PHP-Script line.

> The two other emails had these spool file errors:
>
> Broken:
> 031F From: gratuityq@???
> 105 p 2014 15:01:49 +0400
> 018 MIME-Version: 1.0

That one is missing a chunk - presumably the start of the Date line...

So it looks as though something skipped a chunk of characters when
writing the data out (since the lengths have been calculated already the
data must be lost very late on in the receive/pre-process/write cycle).

Odd
    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham ------------------------------ nigel@??? ]
[                 Ellipsis Intangible Technologies                  ]