Re: [exim] Urgent problem with exim, php and apache ("unabl…

Author: Jeremy Harris
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Urgent problem with exim, php and apache ("unable to set gid/uid" error)
On 23/09/14 11:20, Karim 'Kasi Mir' Senoucci wrote:
>> LOG: MAIN PANIC DIE
>> unable to set gid=1002 or uid=0 (euid=0): forcing real = effective

[...]
> uid=0 is of course root, gid=113 is "Debian-exim", the default group for
> exim. So, from what I gather, exim tries to become root:Debian-exim, and
> succeeds from the console but fails from within apache. Why? The exim4
> executable has the properpermissions:
>
>> -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 983296 Feb 25 2014 /usr/sbin/exim4
>
> Why doesn't this work when exim is called via apache/php? What can I do
> to get PHP mail() working again with exim?
>
> Any help is appreciated; I'm banging my head against the wall here.

It's the setgid failing; the only documented error is EPERM
(you could check that with strace)

"The calling  process  is  not  privileged  (does  not  have  the
              CAP_SETGID capability)"

Have Deb been playing with this sort of thing? You might
want to ask on a Debian mailing list.
--
Cheers,
Jeremy