[exim] Spool format error

Author: Matt
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Spool format error
Hi all,

I'm testing a new debian (7.6) exim (4.80-7 from stable) server. A few days ago it received 3 spam emails which exim was unable to deliver due to spool file errors:

 3d  118K 1XUwKC-0007u8-Tp <sue.mockridge@???>
    *** spool format error: size=3125 ***

I tracked this down to a line length error in the spool file. Manually editing the spool file allowed exim to deliver it successfully:

Broken:
024 Subject: Invoice 276455
064 X-PHP-Script: ubhugueufi058F From: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>
062 X-Sender: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>

Fixed:
024 Subject: Invoice 276455
087 X-PHP-Script: ubhugueufi058F From: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>
062 X-Sender: "Sue Mockridge" <sue.mockridge@???>

The two other emails had these spool file errors:

Broken:
031F From: gratuityq@???
105 p 2014 15:01:49 +0400
018 MIME-Version: 1.0

Fixed:
031F From: gratuityq@???
022 p 2014 15:01:49 +0400
018 MIME-Version: 1.0

Broken:
023  062T To: <colin.smithson@???>,
    <cs@???>

Fixed:
062T To: <colin.smithson@???>,
    <cs@???>

So far I've only seen these 3 emails cause this problem and the server has dealt with several thousand emails (mostly spam) since then. Nothing in my exim config touches the spool files and no other programs are set to either. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem with my own emails.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Matt.