Re: [exim] How to get mail "delivered" to a file (in mbox fo…

Author: Jasen Betts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] How to get mail "delivered" to a file (in mbox format?)
On 2014-08-13, visaris tds.net <visaris@???> wrote:
> I use gentoo. I emerged exim and fetchmail. Fetchmail evidently gets
> mail to my satisfaction, and hands it off to exim. I say this, because
> /var/spool/exim/input is stuffed full of messages, courtesy of exim.

> I once read email with emacs (M-x rmail), but that nolonger works. The
> reason I suppose is that emacs needs mail in mbox format, and although
> mail is sitting in /var/spool/exim/input, nevertheless it has not been
> "delivered" to the proper place in an acceptable format.

yeah for mbox the this place is typically a file called
/var/mail/$USER

> I don't know what the proper place is, but One Step At A Time. First,
> I'ld like to get mail "delivered" to some file (I don't care which) in
> mbox format.

> I have stumbled across information that mbox is *not* an
> unambiguous format,

yes, there's several variants of mbox.

> and what I ought to perfer is "mboxo".

that looks to be the format exim uses by default.

anyway I have this in my transports section:

mail_spool:
debug_print = "T: appendfile for $local_part@$domain"
driver = appendfile
file = /var/mail/$local_part
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
group = mail
mode = 0660
mode_fail_narrower = false

and here's the router thad feeds it (goee in the routers section):

local_user:
debug_print = "R: local_user for $local_part@$domain"
driver = accept
domains = +local_domains
check_local_user
local_parts = ! root
transport = LOCAL_DELIVERY
cannot_route_message = Unknown user

local_domains is defined elewhere in the configuration file

> Advice such as found In Chapter 3, section 13.

chapter 3 is is a good overview of how email passes through exim,
if you;'ve re-read it until you understand every paragraph there's
probaly nothing more to be gained from it (it took me several readings)

There should be an example configuration file somewhere in the
documentation... the code above is minimalist, the sample file will
give you further router and transport definitios that yield the other
features that typical MDAs provide, /etc/aliases ~/.forward and
the like.

--
umop apisdn