Re: [exim] Migrating Exim from Mac OS X to Linux (Ubuntu)

Author: Evgeniy Berdnikov
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Migrating Exim from Mac OS X to Linux (Ubuntu)
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:13:20PM +0100, Chris Bunch wrote:
> I can see that the issue on Linux is going to be where the various
> libraries are (or aren't), for example (from 'make'):
>
> In file included from exim.h:490:0,
>                  from exim_dbmbuild.c:31:
> dbstuff.h:371:18: fatal error: gdbm.h: No such file or directory

> Yes there are Exim packages available which will install in a breeze
> but, you know, I prefer to understand what I am installing and
> where. Any advice or pointers to relevant docs would be appreciated.

Libraries on Linux are also supplied as software packages. If you are
looking for some .h file then you must find and install some library
package, or compile this library from source by hands.

You have better to deside what you real aim is. If you are bothered by
file locations, package manager could provide information about package
content: "rpm -ql" in redhat-based distros, "dpkg -L" in debian-based,
and so on. If you want to find all relevant libraries for build, ask
package manager for the list of build dependencies (for source package).

The simplest way to compile packaged tool is to install source package,
make changes in spec and source files, then start build by hands.
Otherwise you have to reinvent the wheel. :)
--
Eugene Berdnikov