[exim] Migrating Exim from Mac OS X to Linux (Ubuntu)

Author: Chris Bunch
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Migrating Exim from Mac OS X to Linux (Ubuntu)
If anyone has experience of compiling & installing Exim on Linux your insights would be invaluable.

I have been running Exim (and other servers) on Mac OS X for many years but am now having to migrate them to a cloud system on Linode. I have always compiled from source on Mac OS X rather than using packages (there weren't any back then, and it 'just worked'). I can see that the issue on Linux is going to be where the various libraries are (or aren't), for example (from 'make'):

In file included from exim.h:490:0,
                 from exim_dbmbuild.c:31:
dbstuff.h:371:18: fatal error: gdbm.h: No such file or directory

Yes there are Exim packages available which will install in a breeze but, you know, I prefer to understand what I am installing and where. Any advice or pointers to relevant docs would be appreciated.

Chris