Re: [exim] Is exim4 responsible for this phenomena

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Harry Putnam
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Is exim4 responsible for this phenomena
On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@???> wrote:
> On the older host1 if i call `fetchmail -vvvac'
> On host2 (newer host running exim4-heavy) I see this output:
> On host1 (olderhost) running the same `fetchmail -aaavc'

I assume the third line is a typo, and you meant -vvvac. If in fact
you were running -aaavc on host2, then it could explain the difference
because there are less v args.

> | fetchmail: --check mode enabled, not fetching mail
> | fetchmail: 6.3.26 querying pop.newsguy.com (protocol POP3) at Tue 12 Aug 2014 03
> | :51:44 PM EDT: poll started
> | Trying to connect to 74.209.136.72/110...connected.
> | fetchmail: POP3< +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.14) at jorel.newsguy.com starting.
> | fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
> | fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
> | fetchmail: POP3< TOP
> | [...]
> `----
>
> The first 2 lines appear to be from fetchmail itself and from there
> the entire conversation is reported. Most of it is snipped above.
> So, what would make this major difference I see in the output of
> fetchmail?

The first two are from fetchmail itself, the rest are fetchmail
talking to you POP server. Exim4 will only be involved if fetchmail
actually retrieves any messages, at which point fetchmail will hand
the messages to the local Exim4 server to deliver locally.

> I thought perhaps it had something to do with exim4, but as I

No, not until fetchmail actually sees and retrieves a new message on
the server it's polling.

> Hopefully there will be a few debian users who might know if exim4 is
> likely to be involved in this difference

I'm not a Debian user, but I used to use fetchmail, pop, and postfix
to deliver locally, so I understand what is supposed to happen. The
MTA is not a factor in what you have seen so far, it is completely a
fetchmail issue.

Double check that you are calling it with the commandline options you
stated initially.

...Todd