[exim] Is exim4 responsible for this phenomena

Author: Harry Putnam
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Is exim4 responsible for this phenomena
Background:
 setup: Running 2 hosts both using Debian jessie and exim4
        host1 is the older host. host2 is running in a vbox
        vm on a windows host

I'm moving my my main debian desktop from quite an old machine (host1)
to a vbox vm (host2) running on a much newer windows host.

I've accomplished the move except for little forgotten things that
crop up once in a while but am on the verge of doing away with the
older host.

The newer machine is largely a mirror of the older one. but with lots
fewer discs and or partitions. And quite a lot fewer pkgs.

I'm running exim4 on both but on the older host it is exim4-light (in
Debian pkg nomenclature), and exim4-heavy on the newer host.

Even with that difference the config, so far, is very nearly the same.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

OK, now to the phenomena:

I use fetchmail (fetchmail release 6.3.26+GSS+NTLM+SDPS+SSL+NLS+KRB5)
... not running as daemon, on both hosts. And the same
~/.fetchmailrc.

On the older host1 if i call `fetchmail -vvvac'

NOTE about flags:
-vvv (be quite verbose)
-a (all - look at both read and unread msgs
-c (Just check what is there and report)

(Using those flags just to show the phenomenon)

On host2 (newer host running exim4-heavy) I see this output:

,----
| fetchmail: Old UID list from pop.newsguy.com: <empty>
| fetchmail: Old UID list from pop.newsguy.com: <empty>
| fetchmail: Scratch list of UIDs: <empty>

`----

Those lines are from the server, having to do with a recent lapse,
followed by renewal of my pop3 account (I think)

Those three lines are all that show up.
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

On host1 (olderhost) running the same `fetchmail -aaavc'

I see the entire conversation between server and my host... here is a
small snipet to show the difference:

,----
| fetchmail: --check mode enabled, not fetching mail
| fetchmail: 6.3.26 querying pop.newsguy.com (protocol POP3) at Tue 12 Aug 2014 03
| :51:44 PM EDT: poll started
| Trying to connect to 74.209.136.72/110...connected.
| fetchmail: POP3< +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.14) at jorel.newsguy.com starting.
| fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
| fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
| fetchmail: POP3< TOP
| [...]

`----

The first 2 lines appear to be from fetchmail itself and from there
the entire conversation is reported. Most of it is snipped above.

So, what would make this major difference I see in the output of
fetchmail?

I thought perhaps it had something to do with exim4, but as I
mentioned above, those configs are very very similar. That is, inless
there is something outside of /etc/exim4 involved.

Hopefully there will be a few debian users who might know if exim4 is
likely to be involved in this difference