Re: [exim] Log Spamassassin Rejects

Author: Brian Spraker
To: exim users, W B Hacker
Subject: Re: [exim] Log Spamassassin Rejects

--- On Sat, 5/19/12, W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:

> From: W B Hacker <wbh@???>
> Subject: Re: [exim] Log Spamassassin Rejects
> To: "exim users" <exim-users@???>
> Date: Saturday, May 19, 2012, 4:42 PM
> Brian Spraker wrote:
> > Hi all -
> >
> > Another question for the group.
> >
> > I've increasingly been rejecting good messages and am
> trying to find
> > out why.  However, when looking at the rejectlog,
> it mentions why it
> > was rejected (spam points) - but it doesn't show me how
> the e-mail
> > qualified with that many points.
> >
> > Is there a way in Exim to set it so that it will log
> all of the rules
> > that matched the e-mail into the rejectlog - indicating
> how the
> > message got to that point level?
> >
> > Trying to look up information from the spamassassin
> website - and
> > they mention a logging module to add to the local.cf
> file - but it
> > doesn't seem to do anything different.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Brian S.
> >

> It is actually an SA config issue, though you can make Exim
> a player.
>

> - You decide in SA's conf;
>
> -- what format and detail you want in the way of a
> 'report'
>
> -- what detail you want in SA's own logging.
>

> - You decide in Exim's acl's etc ..
>
> -- whether you want that SA report *at all*
>
> -- would prefer to work only with the final score integer
>
> -- or want to generate a custom summary header message of
> your own.
>

> Personally, I prefer to keep 'report' to half a line, tell
> the rejection message nada, put SA's spew in its own log,
> then 'go fetch' manually based on timestamp and message
> ID... IF, and only IF .. I was forced to do so.
>
> I don't really see the point in telling a spammer what he
> should improve on for better luck next time, nor pushing an
> end-users message-body off-screen with huge headers they
> don't want or understand.
>
> YMMV,
>
> Bill

Thank you, Bill. I don't think I am really providing anything to the spammer - except the spam score / reject at SMTP time.

I definitely would prefer to use SA's logging for this so it is a separate log away from Exim. I just can't seem to find anything about how to do so.

I found something like:

loadplugin Mail::Spamassassin::Logger::File

I put this in the local.cf file but it doesn't seem to work. Searched through Google to no avail either. Still trying to keep after it though.

But, the whole idea is that if one of my users comes back and says "I was supposed to get a message from X - but it never came in". Then I can go back through the SA log and look at all of the rules as to why the message was rejected. This will help me tailor some of my custom scores that I placed on some rulesets.

Brian S.