Re: [exim] Log Spamassassin Rejects

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Log Spamassassin Rejects
Brian Spraker wrote:

*snip*

> I definitely would prefer to use SA's logging for this so it is a
> separate log away from Exim. I just can't seem to find anything
> about how to do so.

Dunno what OS you are running, but back when I still bothered to run SA
at all, a *BSD install left SA logging into /var/log/maillog unless
otherwise directed.

Mind, not the full 'report' - just a brief line on the score and tests.
But it had 'at least' the (or 'a') message ID that I could use to grep
thru exim's logs to get other details.

As to Exim, even if you do not use the SA report AT ALL in your headers,
it is fairly easy to config (almost a default, IIRC) to have the entire
who-struck-John SA report written into Exim's reject log.

Have a log at 'log_selector' as well, and don't forget that an acl can
specify WHICH of Exim's logs to write a log_message or logwrite into.

> But, the whole idea is that if one of my users comes back and says "I
> was supposed to get a message from X - but it never came in". Then I
> can go back through the SA log and look at all of the rules as to why
> the message was rejected. This will help me tailor some of my custom
> scores that I placed on some rulesets.

I hear you - BTDTGTTS.

But life became incredibly simpler once I dropped SA and moved to doing
95% plus-plus of my rejections on nothing more complicated than a
hardball rDNS fail + modest LBL.

Once you kill-off the zombots and chronically rude *sources*, message
content is rarely problematic.

Bill
--
韓家標