[exim] mailman in a jail(8) (for people without FreeBSD expe…

Author: Moritz Wilhelmy
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] mailman in a jail(8) (for people without FreeBSD experience: think chroot(8))
Hi folks,

I've installed mailman in a FreeBSD-jail(8) (much like chroot(8)-jails,
but can't be left that easily via fchdir etc.), and now I have the
problem that I can't reach mailman (version 2, version 3 would have
LMTP, which would eliminate the entire problem). Exim, trying to be
secure software is refusing to run the jail(8) command as root, which
means I am having a hard time to pass things into the jail via a pipe
transport.

I see a few more or less ugly kludges around the problem:

- make a setuid wrapper that runs mailman in the jail.
- run another exim instance in the jail as some kind of LMTP or SMTP
wrapper around mailman v2

Does someone know a better way (e.g. a designated LMTP wrapper
implementation)?

Best regards,

Moritz