Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troub…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP command timeout on connection - how to troubleshoot
Scott Neader wrote:
> I was able to get the remote mail server admin to send me a packet capture
> in .pcap format (if anyone wants to see it, I'd be glad to share, nothing
> confidential in the cap).
>
> What I see is that our Exim server sends the "250 OK id=xxxxxxx" message
> just fine, and within a few ms, their server sends an ACK packet.
>
> Here's the funny part... 120 seconds later, my Exim server sends a "421
> my.servername.net: SMTP comamnd timeout - closing connection" packet, and
> their server sends the ACK for that also, then my server sends the "FIN,
> ACK", and their server sends the ACK, and the connection is closed.
>
> Any ideas what is going on?
>
> - Scott

Set your timeout to 4 minutes instead of two minutes and see what, if
anything, changes.

My 'SWAG' is that, '250 OK' having been conveyed, a 'QUIT' will
transpire *before* your timeout arrives, all-hands will stand-down
normally, and the time-on-teat won't be enough longer to matter.

IOW you won't actually reach the 4 minutes, but at least will not have
confused the issue with an extraneous time-out message.

Bill
--
韓家標