Re: [exim] redirect question

Author: John Burnham
To: 'jagginess@videotron.ca', 'exim-users@exim.org'
New-Topics: Re: [exim] redirect question
Subject: Re: [exim] redirect question

> is it possible to redirect a rewrite outgoing?
>
> I read that redirect is used for incoming, but can I use it
> for outgoing?
>
> I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
> username of the system is ->"johndoe"
> email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934@???"
>
> I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver
> = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in
> remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port
> 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any
> TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)
>
> I've been on and off about this and even bought the book on exim.
> If anyone knows what keywords I should be using that would be
> great.. If this is possible then I'm guessing it's possible
> to redirect aliases(or is this a rewrite?) for outgoing ..
>
> Basically I want johndoe to send an email from
> debian.localdomain, have his FROM: field rewritten to
> jdoe934@???, and have passwd.client used against
> mail.isp.net used for his plaintext authentication..(i'm not
> worrying about incoming atm)

OK, I may be misunderstanding here, but don't you just want a rewrite rule based on a lookup ? It has nothing to do with routers as far as I can see.

Here's an example of a rewrite rule doing something similar:

*@*     ${lookup{$1}lsearch{/etc/exim/senders}{$value}fail} frFs

That looks up the local part (the first "*") in a file and rewrites (if they match) the from header, the reply header, the envelope from and the sender header.
You then have a file called /etc/exim/senders (in this case) with contents along the lines of

localpart1: newaddress@???
localpart2: newaddress2@???

and so on.

Have a look at http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch31.html for more details.

The authentication and sending is a different matter and I'm not sure what issues you're having there - possibly it's too early and I haven't had enough coffee yet.

> i'm also a little confused about passwd.client -- the
> documentation doesn't mention if you can use another port
> besides port 25.. anyone knows if this can this be used? ->
> "mail.isp.net::587:VLWNNDGX:mysecretpasswd"

Hmm. This sounds like a Debian specific thing. I'm afraid I don't know how they do things like that.

John