Re: [exim] redirect question

Author: Christoph (Stucki) von Stuckrad
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] redirect question
On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, jagginess@??? wrote:

> is it possible to redirect a rewrite outgoing?

It is, but depends on what you really mean by 'redirect' here
> I'm trying to send mail using /etc/email-aliases
> username of the system is ->"johndoe"
> email alias in /etc/email-aliases(debian)-> "johndoe: jdoe934@???"

Aliases are 'just what an MTA is for'?

> I know the incorrect "router" is being used. It uses "driver = dnslookup" and this router uses transport "remote_smtp", in remote_smtp there's nothing about something of using port 587, which I'm trying to use.. (this port doesn't use any TLS, it uses plaintext password authentication)

now, here is the question, what you mean by 'redirect':

- redirect Mail form on ADDRESS to another ADDRESS
- redirect from one HOST to another HOST (may be because of the address)
- redirect mail from default port 25 (MTAs dialogue)
to port 587 (user dialogue)

Your description of the problems looks as if you want to simulate
"a user's creating new mails at his own provider's Mailhost"
by locally feeding mails to an exim to do the work for you
(which would need each user with an alias to mail to,
an address + provider-MTA + user-id + password,
exim needing to login into each provider's submit port)

But why would one ever do that? Normal redirecting Aliases
just sends the 'resulting Addresses' to the correct MTAs
(by using MX records) over port 25! No need for login.
Just and only redirecting by addresses.

EXCEPT if you want to 'impersonate' the user creating
new mails, and even if this is possible (using lookups
with sets of settings-per-user, it will be),
exim would be the wrong program to do it with, being
an 'MTA' ("T"ransfer) not an 'MUA' ("U"ser)

Stucki

--
Christoph von Stuckrad      * * |nickname |Mail <stucki@???> \
Freie Universitaet Berlin   |/_*|'stucki' |Tel(Mo.,Mi.):+49 30 838-75 459|