Re: [exim] 4.77: inlist condition

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4.77: inlist condition
Always Learning wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 22:06 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
>
>> I've been toying with the idea that Exim needs named parameterised
>> lookups. Notably, in 60 years of programming language development,
>> this idea has been stumbled upon before and has been given a catchy
>> name.
>>
>> "Functions".
>
> An exciting and interesting idea. I am certain it will be very useful to
> millions of Exim fans.
>
> P.S. Didn't programming started in the 1940's ?

NINETEEN Forties?

At core, 'programming' is about making future choices based on past
information, where the time frame for 'future' and 'past' is VERY flexible.

Even planaria can do that. And they have been around for a while.

But in the more modern sense, in roughly descending order...

Go Ogle:

Herman Hollerith

Augusta Ada Byron

Joseph Marie Jacquard

Or have a look at these and their 5,000 year old history:

http://archaeology.about.com/od/americanancientwriting/a/khipucode.htm

;-)

Bill

--