Re: [exim] 4.77: inlist condition

Author: Todd Lyons
To: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] 4.77: inlist condition
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
>> I've been toying with the idea that Exim needs named parameterised
>> lookups.  Notably, in 60 years of programming language development, this
>> idea has been stumbled upon before and has been given a catchy name.
>> "Functions".
>> -Phil
> I would LOVE to see the Exim language expanded to include functions.

Currently the way I do such a thing when it's required is to just use
perl because I can pass parameters to the function I call, however I
do realize that not everybody loves perl the way I do, nor is it a
good solution for someone who doesn't know perl.

1. There seems to be a lot of php and python programmers out there.
Why not a linkable php or python option for exim, similar to the way
that exim can embed perl and apache has (mod_perl,) mod_php and
mod_python. I do not know if I'm asking for the moon or if it's
something reasonable.

2. A crude method of doing this is creating a standalone ACL which
carves and manipulates the data the way you need it. Pass the data to
the ACL using acl_m* variables, and return the answer(s) in acl_m*
variables. I consider it to be very crude though. :-/

3. Maybe it would be easier to just make a standalone socket daemon
which can support the functions and have exim talk to the daemon.
This would move the "how much do you trust data coming in" type of
functionality out to an external daemon.

Regards...           Todd
--
If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread,
pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the