Re: [exim] Non-standard Setup of Mail Routing

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: tim
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Non-standard Setup of Mail Routing
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 14:27 -0400, Tim Pouget wrote:
> Test 3: When cPanel locally emails a Google Account setup with them I get an
> error. R=virtual_aliases: No Such User Here

This is as expected. With the "local" setup, Exim under cPanel expects
to find a local entry in the mail table, doesn't, so spits an error.

With the "remote" setup, Exim under cPanel doesn't think it knows about
the local accounts, so spits an error.

Essentially, as you don't really have complete control of either end
(even using cPanel you have limitations as you are seeing) running this
"split domain" setup is challenging.

What you're after is for both sides of the system to have complete
knowledge of the other, and this is going to be difficult - but perhaps
not as difficult as it seems!

In Google Apps, if you can, create a domain alias in your main domain
which is a subdomain (such as sub.domain.com). You'll need to set the MX
records for the subdomain to match the main domain.
Create accounts (corresponding to the four accounts you mention) which
have an address in both the main domain *and* the subdomain.

Then change the email setup for the four accounts in cPanel so they
forward to the subdomain addresses. That should see it work.

Graeme