Re: [exim] Discard bounce notification emails before they ar…

Inizio della pagina
Autore: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Oggetto: Re: [exim] Discard bounce notification emails before they are sent
Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Jeremy Harris wrote:
>> On 2011-03-04 23:56, luda posch wrote:
>>> It seems my question was misunderstood again, let me explain in as much
>>> detail as I can.
>>>
>>> like gmail aol yahoo etc.. Now if my relay server receives an incoming
>>> email for "notreal@???"
>>
>> Reject this mail. Do not accept it. Do not let it become your problem.
>> Decide to reject it by asking gmail if it is a valid mail, and
>> discovering that
>> it is not. This is called a "recipient verify callout".
>
> That's too funny. You're suggesting to the original poster, who appears
> to be a spammer to use abusive means to deal with bounces.
> I'd almost be laughing if it wasn't so sad.
>
> "recipient verify callout" is a bad thing and it's a shame it was ever
> implemented in exim way back. In fact it caused quite some dislike for
> exim. It needs to be burried and forgotten.
>
> Regards,
> Jeroen

Doesn't help the OP either way - see other posts and note poor vetting of
initial addresses collected AND NOT doing double-opt-in via email (which vets
the submitted address as a byproduct).....

W/R callouts in general, however... Not 'buried and forgotten' .. just used
where they fit.

*misuse* of *either* recipient or sender verification callouts can be very bad, yes.

But *within a pool of servers under common control* and/or a community similarly
arranged in agreement to cooperate (think volunteer software devel projects or
such), BOTH are legitimate and useful tools.

It may be 'more better' (sic) to export or sync DB's, permit TCP/IP calls to
query user DB's, but as often as not these are of different 'race', so having
tools in Exim to make an MTA-to-MTA query - especially when it is infrequent
anyway, as it may be - can be more appropriate than trying to export GDB or CDB
to SQL or LDAP or the like, and the reverse.

The key is 'common control' or by other prior arrangement.

Fully agree these callouts should NOT be made to 'strangers' not expecting them.

Bill