Re: [exim] Exim 4.74 RC2 uploaded

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Sean Donelan
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.74 RC2 uploaded
On 2011-01-23 at 21:02 -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:
> Has anyone else tried Exim 4.74 with OpenSSL 1.0.0c? With 1.0.0a it works
> fine, but with OpenSSL 1.0.0c Exim core dumps on startup. I haven't
> figured out if its an issue with Exim or OpenSSL.

I am unable to replicate this. FreeBSD 7/amd64, OpenSSL 1.0.0c, Exim
4.74. No problems of this nature.

My system Exim is rc2, built against OpenSSL 1.0.0b and running against
1.0.0c.

My current build of post-4.74 Exim is built and linked against OpenSSL
1.0.0c and I can bring it up on a non-standard port, connect with
gnutls-cli, EHLO, STARTTLS, send EOF to the client and get successful
TLS negotiation and, well, I'm well past "start-up".

You should be able to run strings(1) against the Exim binary and see
which version it was built against, as the version information from the
OpenSSL include/ headers makes it into the Exim binary as a constant
string, so that Exim can print that out, together with the version
reported by the run-time library, when you invoke { exim -bV }.

Eg,
----------------------------8< cut here >8------------------------------
% strings /usr/local/sbin/exim-4.75-dev-pdp1 | fgrep -i openssl
tls_openssl_options_parse
openssl_options
OpenSSL
openssl_options
openssl_options parse error: %s
>malformed openssl option setting: + or - expected but found "%s"

openssl option setting unrecognised: "%s"
openssl option, %s from %lx: %lx (%s)
OpenSSL compile-time version: %s
openssl_options parsing failed
OpenSSL 1.0.0c 2 Dec 2010
OpenSSL runtime version: %s
tls-openssl.c

So, I built against 1.0.0c. If that doesn't match what you see, then
you have stray OpenSSL include/ stuff littering your system.

-Phil