Re: [exim] Exim 4.74 RC2 uploaded

Author: Dennis Davis
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.74 RC2 uploaded
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011, Phil Pennock wrote:

> From: Phil Pennock <pdp@???>
> To: exim-users@???
> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:28:42
> Subject: [exim] Exim 4.74 RC2 uploaded
>
> I have uploaded Exim 4.74 RC2 to:
>     ftp://ftp.exim.org/pub/exim/exim4/test/

> The final 4.74 release will happen either on Monday or Tuesday,
> depending upon how quickly we get positive feedback from testers
> of the RC2 candidate release.

The comments:

# To build a module dynamically, you'll need to define CFLAGS_DYNAMIC for
# your platform. Eg:
# CFLAGS_DYNAMIC=-shared -rdynamic
# CFLAGS_DYNAMIC=-shared -rdynamic -fPIC

in src/EDITME are misleading. You need to provide a value for
CFLAGS_DYNAMIC as scripts/lookups-Makefile insists on it. Although
setting:

CFLAGS_DYNAMIC=

seems to work, at least on OpenBSD4.8, and might be provided as a
default.

This release candidate fails to build on Solaris5.10 and, so far,
it's scripts/lookups-Makefile that's the problem. I'd guess that
this script was imported from some Linux box where /bin/sh is a
version of bash. This script make assumptions about the shell
scripting language available that simply aren't true for the more
primitive /bin/sh on Solaris.

The scripts/lookups-Makefile also make assumptions about:

(1) The grep command.  The "-q" argument isn't available with the
    Solaris version of grep.

(2) The syntax of the tr command. You can't write:

    tr A-Z a-z

    on Solaris.  It needs to be:

    tr [A-Z] [a-z]
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis@???               Phone: +44 1225 386101