Re: [exim] Help needed with router configuration

Author: Steffen Heil
To: 'Mike Clarke', exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help needed with router configuration
Hi

> To: Mike Clarke <admin@???>
> Cc: Members <list@???>

As others have already commented, this is broken. Don't rely on these
headers - they may even not exist. Or they may contain another address (as
in forwarding) or they may contain a list address only, or ....

While using pop3 in front of a MTA is generally bad practice, you may want
to look into the headers of your incoming mails. Some providers (including
some of the large providers as 1&1) add a special header when placing a mail
into a mailbox, such as "X-Recipient-to:". If you have such a custom header,
you can rely on that much more then on any To: or Cc: or anything else.
However, make sure, you system does not fall apart, if the provider chooses
to have behavior - they are not required to keep adding that header.

> Could someone advise me about the best way to configure exim to ignore
> list@??? when it appears in a Cc header?

This alone is no sane decision. What, if you reply to someone directly, but
want a copy of that to the list? Or what, if someone else sends you a mail,
with the list in "To:" and you in "Cc:"? You will then not get that mail but
instead bounce it to the list. Which will in turn deliver it to you ... Be
prepared to be banned from external lists, ...

> Alternatively is there a way I can identify emails which have been

processed
> by by fetchmail on my local PC and stop them from being routed back to the
> smarthost?

Yes, there are. For example, you can look at the sender ip (if there is
nothing else on the host running fetchmail). Or you could add another
listening port for exim and use this with fetchmail allowing you in exim to
detect the used port. Or you could (if fetchmail supports that) add a custom
header in fetchmail.

But, best choise would be not to use fetchmail at all or at least don't pass
messages to a MTA.

Regards,
Steffen