Re: [exim] Help needed with router configuration

Author: Jim Cheetham
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Help needed with router configuration
Quoting Mike Clarke (from 23/01/11 22:06):
> I'm running a small home network. Incoming mail is collected from POP3
> servers by fetchmail and then passed to exim for local delivery. Exim
> also handles the routing of outgoing mail via a smarthost.

Once a message has arrived at a mailbox (your POP3 service), you have
lost the envelope details, and you should not try to resubmit that
message to an MTA .. with CC from a mailing list being one of the
canonical examples of what will go wrong.

Instead of looking to Exim to fix the problem, I would recommend asking
fetchmail itself to do local delivery, possibly via procmail. Keep your
exim for outgoing messages only.

I expect that there are ways around the problem, but you will end up
with an unusual and difficult Exim config, rather than a set of simple
configs using the tools the way they are intended.

- -jim

> Despite my limited skills with exim configuration this has been working
> well for several years but I've now encountered a problem with routing
> mail arriving from a new mailman list which I administer on an remote
> host.
>
> The relevant router section in my exim configure file is:
>
> mailman:
>    driver = redirect
>    domains = example.com
>    local_parts = admin : ^.*-owner
>    data = mike

> The list isn't available to the public so I've changed the domain name
> shown here.
>
> Incoming emails to me as either admin@??? or
> list-owner@??? are routed to me as user mike and outgoing
> emails to list@??? are ignored by the above section and get
> caught further down by the smart_route section and sent to my ISP's
> mail server.
>
> This works fine except that messages arriving from the list have headers
> like this:
>
> To: Mike Clarke <admin@???>
> Cc: Members <list@???>
>
> In addition to routing the message locally to me. exim is also
> attempting to relay the message back to the list using the address in
> the Cc header. The message is subsequently rejected by the list server
> when it detects that it is looping.
>
> Could someone advise me about the best way to configure exim to ignore
> list@??? when it appears in a Cc header?
>
> Alternatively is there a way I can identify emails which have been
> processed by by fetchmail on my local PC and stop them from being
> routed back to the smarthost?

- --
     Jim Cheetham      Director, Inode Ltd. Dunedin NZ
  jim@??? ✉  ⎈ http://inode.co.nz/
   +64-3-951-3133 ☎  ✆ mobile +64-21-227-0015
skype:jimcheetham ☏  ⌨ jabber:inodeconz@???
      OpenPGP key ⚙    B50F BE3B D49B 3A8A 9CC3
       0xC9820605      8966 9374 82CD C982 0605