Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users
On 17 Jan 2011, at 13:17, Peter Bowyer wrote:

> The PIX issue that I remember cropping up (not for me, I wouldn't
> touch one with someone else's bargepole) was around the PIX masking
> out some ESMTP capabilities - possibly STARTTLS. I guess it masks them
> because it knows it's going to break them - a proxy such as the PIX
> acts would almost certainly break STARTTLS....

From memory - we do use the things, but standing instructions are to
switch off SMTP f**up features - this is basically the case.
Additionally the initial SMTP banner (ie 220 hostname ....) has large
chunks ****'d out so many systems won't try ESMTP since the ESMTP
part of the banner has been removed.

> The solution was to turn off the SMTP fixup feature. Or trash the PIX.

Either of those work well. ASAs do suffer similar issues. Unfortunately
I can't get at one to test against at the moment.

    Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham             Nigel.Metheringham@??? ]