Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users

Author: Peter Bowyer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users
On 17 January 2011 13:08, Phil Pennock <exim-users@???> wrote:
> I don't recall the details more than that and can't find the reference.
> I added a wishlist item for this feature to my notes on 2008-11-18.
> Clearly a priority.  ;)  I had the impression this was an ongoing issue
> for PIX users and remembered the issue cropping up repeatedly, but the
> fact that I'm having difficulty finding references suggests that I'm
> losing my marbles.

The PIX issue that I remember cropping up (not for me, I wouldn't
touch one with someone else's bargepole) was around the PIX masking
out some ESMTP capabilities - possibly STARTTLS. I guess it masks them
because it knows it's going to break them - a proxy such as the PIX
acts would almost certainly break STARTTLS....

The solution was to turn off the SMTP fixup feature. Or trash the PIX.

Peter