Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users

Author: Jethro R Binks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Calling Cisco PIX & Exim users
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011, Phil Pennock wrote:

> On 2011-01-17 at 07:16 -0500, Daryl Richards wrote:
> > I have both a PIX and ASA I can test through. What is the specific
> > problem, so I can test before and after?
>
> Cisco PIX SMTP Fixup, in some versions not specified to us, managing to
> lose track of the final dot and not let through the connection, leading
> to stalled SMTP.
>
> I don't recall the details more than that and can't find the reference.
> I added a wishlist item for this feature to my notes on 2008-11-18.
> Clearly a priority. ;) I had the impression this was an ongoing issue
> for PIX users and remembered the issue cropping up repeatedly, but the
> fact that I'm having difficulty finding references suggests that I'm
> losing my marbles.

Most people disabled the long-term-broken smtp fixup on PIX/ASA and never
worried about it :)

I think earlier fixup problems related to the PIX code not understanding
ESMTP ... didn't you get a line of ++++++++++++++++++++++ or something
like that happening in the command stream?

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.