Re: [exim] Some versions of Outlook Express can't use SMTP-A…

Author: Graeme Fowler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Some versions of Outlook Express can't use SMTP-Auth?
On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 16:12 -0800, Ernie Dunbar wrote:
> FWIW, you should s/haven't mapped/need to change/

Oh, not again...

> Not being expertly familiar with Exim configuration (and thus, in need of
> tech support from the exim-users mailing list), I figured something like
>
> 2 = $1
> 3 = $2
>
> would have been necessary from your description. That's mapping. Mapping
> isn't needed - editing is. Mucking around with changing the values of
> variables is the long, complicated way of fixing a tremendously simple
> spelling error.

Ernie, instead of complaining about the answer it's probably more
efficient and less stressful for all concerned if you say "I didn't
understand that" and let someone explain it in more detail.

As it stands, the default configuration - as I posted earlier - has this
documented in immense and very clear detail; it is even available on the
web as part of the main documentation:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch07.html#SECTdefconfauth

In there you'll see that the issue you're experiencing isn't a spelling
error, it's caused (as Phil Pennock helpfully explained) by the position
of the response fields in the data received by the server.

I hope that helps

Graeme