Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Paul Rogers
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting
On 2009-11-20 at 20:05 -0800, Paul Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:07:39 -0800, "Phil Pennock"
> <exim-users@???> said:
> > Using Exim 4, you'd use headers_rewrite on your SMTP transport. Exim 4
>
> That was introduced with v3.20, the reason I chose it. I'm using
> header rewriting, but it's not enough for my ISP relay. I need to
> rewrite the envelope also.

Then you use return_path to control the SMTP Envelope Sender and you use
routing to adjust the recipients before it hits the transport.

The problem with changing the recipient address with rewriting is that
each time an address is generated by a Director or Router, it's subject
to rewriting (unless the rewriting is explicitly SMTP-time).

The Exim way is to generate the recipient addresses in the correct form
in the Routers.

BTW, Exim has had security issues in the past. They're rare, but have
happened. ISTR there was at least one issue somewhere between 3.20 and
3.36 but the details escape me.