Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting

Author: Paul Rogers
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] conditional compound rewriting
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:30:07 -0800, "Phil Pennock" <exim-
users@???> said:
> Then you use return_path to control the SMTP Envelope Sender and you
> use routing to adjust the recipients before it hits the transport.

That's not enough, at least for my ISP. I tried just transport
rewriting. (They're clueless about Linux. Well, that's not entirely
correct--they have some Debian on their mail server it seems.) I have
to rewrite envelopes too so they look like what would have come from my
ISP's mail server.

> The problem with changing the recipient address with rewriting is that
> each time an address is generated by a Director or Router, it's
> subject to rewriting (unless the rewriting is explicitly SMTP-time).

It's not the recipients that's a problem. It's the sender, reply-to,
from, et al. They check validity of those, and "...@pika.lan" or
"...@localhost" just don't cut it for them. This is a home machine &
LAN. I got no official DNS identity. I setup a special user for this,
and I was hoping I could make the rewriting rules smart enough that it
could still send mail locally, e.g. errors, but that's not working out
so good. My lookup rewrite works, a bit too good. Guess I've got to
live with it.

> BTW, Exim has had security issues in the past. They're rare, but have
> happened. ISTR there was at least one issue somewhere between
> 3.20 and 3.36 but the details escape me.

This runs on a 32MB 486/33, kernel-2.2.26, ipchains, diald, pppd, and is
just dialing in, sending some email to a select group, and hanging up.
I'm sure there are more than just exim's security issues. I'm relying
on being there and disappearing fast, at least in part.

Thanks for trying, anyhow.
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrogers@???