Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion

Author: Mike Cardwell
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Improving Exim Documentation: A Simple Suggestion
Eli wrote:

>> As for the static vs dynamic argument, XSLT is perfect for this sort of
>> documentation. You shove the document content in some simple static
>> files, and then write separate stylesheets for the html version of the
>> doc, and the pdf version, etc.
> In terms of browser support, if you are thinking of client-side XSLT, that
> support isn't there yet ( If
> you try for server-side XSLT that instantly means you need some form of
> script parsing engine like ASP or PHP which can introduce maintenance issues
> if the language ever changes (PHP is quite susceptible to this as extensions
> change quite a bit in major releases... and hosting providers usually see no
> issue in upgrading to newer versions of PHP).

It's much simpler to just use the Apache mod_xslt module:

LoadModule mxslt_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/
AddOutputFilterByType mod-xslt application/xml

I built my CV using XSLT. To make sure it worked in old browsers I
created a htaccess file like this:

Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226)
Technical Blog: