Re: [exim] A Tight Exim Config

Author: Heiko Schlittermann
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] A Tight Exim Config
Hello Jon,
Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@???> (Di 15 Sep 2009 10:27:43 CEST):

> Thank you for your reply to my email. When i say arrived I mean delivered. It is *all* about making sure with as much certainty as possible that the message has been delivered.

Exim is reliable. It delivers the message to the next hop or it returns
the message. If the delivery fails temporarly, it retries (based on
configurable rules). If your application uses a proper return address
(envelope-from), exim will return the message on delivery errors and it
is up to you to parse the returned message (bounce). There is no need to
parse any log file.

If the return address is an local address on the exim host, you have
several options to receive the bounces: delivery into an mbox file,
delivery via a command pipe into your application, or delivery via LMTP
into your application (LMTP via a local socket or via network).

> How do the 'captains of industry' do this? If i turn the retry details in exim right down and manage that myself will that work? Alternatively does anyone parse the log to find the status of their message?

I'm not sure why you don't want to rely on exim's retry rules. They're
„industry proven“. But of course, you could strip them down to get
bounces immediatly if exim faces a temporary problem.

Alternativly you could inspect the message spool to get information about
*pending* messages: „expick …“ will help you.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -