Re: [exim] A Tight Exim Config

Author: Jon Hardcastle
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] A Tight Exim Config
Can I firstly apologise if this reply format is non-standard I struggeld to reply to that digest email; I think i will turn it off!

Thank you for your reply to my email. When i say arrived I mean delivered. It is *all* about making sure with as much certainty as possible that the message has been delivered.

How do the 'captains of industry' do this? If i turn the retry details in exim right down and manage that myself will that work? Alternatively does anyone parse the log to find the status of their message?

Cheers.

-----------------------
N: Jon Hardcastle
E: Jon@???
'Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.'
-----------------------

Hello Jon,

Jon Hardcastle <jd_hardcastle@???> (Mo 14 Sep 2009 21:42:58 CEST):
> Hi,
>
> I have been tasked with my employers to produce an application that implements a mail server queue.
>
> That bit is easy.
>
> The bit that isn't easy is they want to know if the highest degree of certainty if a mail message has arrived or not. Is it possible to have exim reject emails and notify via smtp if a message can not be delivered for *any reason* so that my queue app can try again?
>
> Alternatively, do 'people' parse the exim log to automatically see if an application has sent an email? We need to be able to send emails to clients but want - as much as possible - to know if the message has arrived?
>
> Any help gratefully received.

I'm not sure if I understood well. Your application delivers to exim and
exim then in turn delivers the mail to the final destination (or to some
point more close to the final destination). The final destination is
somewhere in the „outside world“.

You need a notification from exim, if for any reason a message delivery
to the outside world fails?

(I'm confused by the „arrived“ - this sounds as exim *gets* the mail
from outside, but this doesn't fit to the rest of the sketched
scenario.)

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann
 Heiko Schlittermann HS12-RIPE -----------------------------------------
 gnupg encrypted messages are welcome - key ID: 48D0359B ---------------
 gnupg fingerprint: 3061 CFBF 2D88 F034 E8D2  7E92 EE4E AC98 48D0 359B -