Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?
Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughtful reply, but evidently there's still something
> that I'm missing.

You are 'almost home'

In your post to this list, to which I am replying, find in headers:

===

===

niof.net and/or the IP 69.17.2.49 forward & reverse resolve.

But note the HELO still has the old pattern.

Some, but NOT ALL of those us who do lookups on it expect prefixes, so
you can be more certain of success with an exact match.

grep 'mnr.niof.net' /usr/local/etc/exim/configure

(or wherever your flavor of Linux has chosen to hide whatever it uses
for a configuration file).

Change that to just plain niof.net

*don't forget* to reload or restart Exim.

NB: You might need to tell grep to recurse. It won't hurt to also grep
for all occurences of the IP itself to insure you are aware of where
THAT may be hiding.

>> enter a RTR RR for the above 'choice' on the IP used. [1]
>
> Please excuse my ignorance, but is that the same thing as rDNS?

Perhaps more accurate to say it is the entry that *supports* rDNS, but
functionally - yes.

BTW - simple example of helo_data in the transports section:

remote_smtp:
driver = smtp
helo_data = niof.net

HTH,