Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?

Author: Andrew McGill
To: exim-users
CC: Rick Pasotto
Subject: Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?
On Wednesday 12 November 2008 15:21:09 Rick Pasotto wrote:
> I set /etc/hostname to 'niof.net' and restarted exim.

The current host name is set with the 'hostname' program under Linux ... and
possibly others - often from /etc/hostname, but sometimes from some obscure
file like /etc/sysconfig/network. Most applications will look up the host
name once, and cache it for as long as they run.

The fully qualified host name is looked up in /etc/hosts:
12.2.3.4 hostnamely.domain.foo hostnamely

> However, that doesn't seem to be enough. Do I need to reboot?

Set the host name properly, and restart exim. Failing that reboot, but you
don't have to.

> What puzzles me is that I have been sending and receiving mail for over
> five years without a problem. I run several mailman mailing lists, one
> with over 1600 addresses. This is the first host that has rejected my
> mail. Maybe the increase in spam has resulted in a tightening up of the
> protocols.

Their clients occasionally wonder why they don't get all their mail. Since
you like their customers, you help them out.

&:-)