Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?

Author: Michael Heydon
To: Andrew McGill
CC: exim-users, Rick Pasotto
Subject: Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?
Andrew McGill wrote:
>> I set /etc/hostname to 'niof.net' and restarted exim.
>>
> The current host name is set with the 'hostname' program under Linux
>
> The fully qualified host name is looked up in /etc/hosts:
>
> Set the host name properly, and restart exim. Failing that reboot, but you
> don't have to.

Why is all this messing about necessary?

Our mail servers have hostnames that aren't in external DNS, I just have
"primary_hostname = mail.jaswin.com.au" and that is what they claim to
be when talking to the outside. Why does the system's hostname have to
match what it claims to be?

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh@??? <mailto:michaelh@jaswin.com.au>