Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?

Author: Rick Pasotto
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] where does the HELO hostname get set?
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, but evidently there's still something
that I'm missing.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:48:44PM +0800, W B Hacker wrote:
> Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > I have been running exim on my debian machine for many years without
> > a problem. Now the one recipient won't accept mail from me and gives
> > the below explanation which I only partially understand.
> >
> > I think the problem will be resolved if I can get exim to respond
> > with 'niof.net' to HELO rather than 'mnr.niof.net'. mnr is the
> > machine name but the domain is niof.net. At the present time it is
> > the only machine in that domain.
> >
> > I know just enough to muddle my way through and would appreciate if
> > someone could help me understand what's going on and what I need to
> > do to fix it.
>
> You have been belssed with a very rare gift - a far-end that has given
> you polite, accurate, and specific advice.
>
> Be thankful for that, and act on it!
>
> - FIRST:
>
> -- chose the identity you will use, EX: 'niof.net' or 'mail.niof.net'
>
> - THEN either:
>
> --- set the box hostname to the above choice (AND NOT 'mnr.niof.net')

I set /etc/hostname to 'niof.net' and restarted exim.

However, that doesn't seem to be enough. Do I need to reboot?

What puzzles me is that I have been sending and receiving mail for over
five years without a problem. I run several mailman mailing lists, one
with over 1600 addresses. This is the first host that has rejected my
mail. Maybe the increase in spam has resulted in a tightening up of the
protocols.

> and/or
>
> --- set Exim's 'helo_data' to that choice, and insure the appropriate
> transport(s) actually *use* it.

Where would I do that? The only lines I find in my config file that
reference 'helo_data' apprear to deal with incoming mail.

> That's only halfway home, because the far-end sees that in the HELO, but
> ID's the IP based on a DNS lookup - and *wants* a PTR RR from the
> IP-block holder of record - NOT from your own DNS:

I am not running my own DNS.

> THEN ALSO
>
> -- insure there are DNS records (A, MX, and PTR for your choice, AND
> that they match the IP you use for the MTA.
>
> CRITICAL ITEM:
>
> -- get your *IP-block holder* (datacenter, ISP, or other upstream) to
> enter a RTR RR for the above 'choice' on the IP used. [1]

Please excuse my ignorance, but is that the same thing as rDNS? niof.net
gives an ip of 69.17.2.49 and 69.17.2.49 gives a PTR of niof.net.

> Miss any of those, and *our* servers will not be at all 'polite' or
> helpful because we will 'ass u me' you are a WinZombie or LinDiot.
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill
>

> [1] If you cannot get that, then said upstream may provide, and require
> you to use, their mailhost for outbound traffic. Too few bandwidth
> purchasers bother to READ their terms of service, which often prohibit
> operating a mailserver.

My ISP (speakeasy.net) specifically *allows* all services, including
mail and http. That's a major reason I chose them.