Re: [exim] Replacing attachments with URLs

Author: Ian Eiloart
To: David Anderson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Replacing attachments with URLs

--On 21 May 2008 20:16:15 +0300 David Anderson
<exim.org@???> wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Tony Finch wrote:
>> > I've discovered that mailscanner can do this together with
>> > Sendmail, but it's very tightly coupled to Sendmail. What can I use
>> > to do it with Exim?
>>
>> Mailscanner works fine with Exim. Exim itself doesn't support
>> modifying message bodies.
>
> Sorry, I meant mimedefang, not mailscanner. Mailscanner is too
> heavyweight for the hardware I'm running on.

Hmm,

I was having a look at lemonade
<http://www.lemonadeformobiles.com/index.html>, and it seems to me that one
of the components - BURL. "Message Submission BURL Extension" (RFC 4468) -
would have similar message body manipulation requirements.

Is the architecture of Exim such that this would require a major rewrite?

BTW, I thought I'd have a look at which Lemonade features Exim supports,
and have documented this - with a more general feature list on the wiki.
<http://wiki.exim.org/EximIntroduction> The list is probably both too
detailed, and yet not comprehensive. Perhaps two versions would be nice:
one for newbies and managerial types and one technical.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex