Re: [exim] SMTP

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] SMTP
Doyley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are having a problem being reported as spam because of the
> localhost.localdomain thing.
>
> Our hosts said they have fixed it though when I try a mail test I get the
> following.
>
> OK, connected to 92.48.**.**...
> < 220-localhost.localdomain ESMTP Exim 4.68 #1 Wed, 21 May 2008 11:35:29
> +0100
> < 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
> < 220 and/or bulk e-mail.
>> HELO edit.dnsvr.com
> < 250 localhost.localdomain Hello edit.dnsvr.com [64.85.73.124]
>> MAIL FROM:<doyley@*****.com>
> < 250 OK
>> RCPT TO:<doyley3731@****.com>
> < 550-(edit.dnsvr.com) [64.85.73.124] is currently not permitted to relay
> through
> < 550-this server. Perhaps you have not logged into the pop/imap server in
> the
> < 550-last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP Authentication turned on in your
> email
> < 550 client.
>
> I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to emails but is it not still
> reporting as localhost.localdomain?
>
> Can somebody tell me how to fix this. We are using WHM with exim installed.
>
> Thanks!

You've obfuscated-out the key info needed.

*which* <domain>.<tld> & IP is your client?

*which* <domain>.<tld> & IP is your Exim server?

And are you, or are you not, attempting to relay on port 25 through the
server of an ISP when you should be autheticating with them over TLS on
port 587 with a vlaid UID 7 PWd (and/or prior POP/IMAP auth from the
same IP)?

(guessing that last part from the PTR RR for the IP you did not obfuscate..)

Bill