Re: [exim] Nabble (was Drop all traffic unless authenticated…

Author: Oliver von Bueren
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Nabble (was Drop all traffic unless authenticated users OR specific IP)
Bleurgh wrote:
> Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
>> I am seriously wondering (again) about just blocking Nabble. It seems to
>> cause more problems than its worth, and creates a degree of confusion
>> not seen from any other archiving tool. Maybe its because they pretend
>> they are a forum and then gate it into the mailing list.
>>
>> Are there *any* good reasons why it should stay?

Not really, esp. as configuring an MTA is not a task one does if not
knowing how to configure an MUA correctly.
> Its the "threaded" views I cant get to grips with. But I think that might be
> the same for alot of people under the age of 40! The replies seem to be all
> over the place. I've seen other "viewers" that display the replies in a
> confusing way also.

The threaded view is IMHO a great help to read any discussion. It's
advantage is, that you can read multiple answer paths in the correct
order and don't have to guess to what message the reply belongs. This
thread is a good example for that.
> If I use the "Classic" view in Nabble it appears more "forum" like which I
> much prefer. I'm not a great fan of mailman or any email based discussion. I
> think its had its day. I find the modern discussion boards much more
> functional and easier to read.

The advantage of the threaded view is very much lost and the natural
flow of a discussion can't be seen easily in a forum like discussion. If
you always answer to the last message in a forum where the only sort
criteria is the posing date, that might work alright. But if you answer
to an earlier message, it's very hard to get the "thread" that answer is
following. In my opinion, this is also the biggest limitation a forum has.

I didn't know Nabble at all but made a quick visit. If the thread is
viewed in threaded mode, it looks similar to what I have in Thunderbird.
There are just some sort errors on Nabble, the thing with the time and
stuff...:-) Switching to Chronologically or All view makes it
unreadable. But that's a personal thing, I guess.;-)

BTW: I'm under 40 as well, but I'm in IT since a good 20 years now,
starting with FidoNET...

That all said, I vote for "No export to a forum like platform" for the
discussion of exim.

Oliver