Re: [exim] Nabble (was Drop all traffic unless authenticated…

Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Subject: Re: [exim] Nabble (was Drop all traffic unless authenticated users OR specific IP)
Chris Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Bleurgh wrote:
>
> | If I use the "Classic" view in Nabble it appears more "forum" like which I
> | much prefer. I'm not a great fan of mailman or any email based discussion. I
> | think its had its day. I find the modern discussion boards much more
> | functional and easier to read.
>
> Hmmmmm....
>
> For me, a "web forum" is a poor man's mailing list, which itself is a poor
> man's Usenet newsgroup.
>
> Web forums are *really* crap and annoying, and I'm struggling to see the
> benefits. They seem to be liked by the "Internet == http" generation,
> who've often never used a proper Usenet client or threaded mail reader.
>
> A particular gripe is that the "web forums" with which I'm familiar
> show me every message in a given thread, not just any NEW messages.
> So I have to scroll down trying to remember where I last read up to.
> What should take 1 second actually takes 10 :-( :-(

ACK. The very thing a decent MUA/News-reader removes as a sore point....

Have to say it *was* easier when the stuff came in over triple-stack of
TTY Model 15 or the later 33 & 37.

If only because just about anyone can read faster than all three could
print..

Searching the 'archives' OTOH, was a first-order RPITA, so ... progress...

;-)

Bill