Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Esther Schindler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam
On Jan 7, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Graeme Fowler wrote:
>> Speaking from a purely personal perspective: I can't stand OoO and
>> never, ever use it. That's in part though because I subscribe to too
>> many mailing lists and don't want the embarrassment of a misplaced
>
> Don't get me wrong. I don't like them either, but certain people think
> they're necessary (beats me why).

If someone wants to volunteer to do so, I invite one of you to write
a "guest column" for CIO.com (on the Advice & Opinion part of the
site) explaining to CIOs and IT Managers why OoO messages are a bad
idea.

It may not help the original message writer win with *his*
management, but it'll certainly convince a few bosses who just didn't
know any better.

(There would be no money in this. Only the moral certainty that you'd
save some poor slob from going through what the base note writer did.)

By the way, such messages CAN be awfully useful. Yes, I realize why
they're dangerous from a spam point of view, and that most of them
are set up poorly in regard to mailing lists. But there's nothing
like sending out a note to a PR person to say, "Help, I need a
response TODAY!" and getting back an "I'm on vacation" message which,
at least, lets me know I won't get help from _that_ quarter.
Otherwise I just have to assume I'm being ignored.

Esther