Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

Author: Phil \(Medway Hosting\)
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [exim] Out of Office and collateral spam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Perkel" <marc@???>
To: "Jeroen van Aart" <kroshka@???>
Cc: <exim-users@???>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:20 PM

> I have a little different take on the out of office backscatter. Even
> though it is somewhat annoying I actually count ham points for it when
> it comes to my blacklisting because spammers don't host auto responders.
> My take is that ham from people who have morons for email admins is
> still ham. But to clarify, I do try to block spam generated OoO
> backscatter, but I try to make sure that it doesn't count against the
> host's IP karma score. The same is true of sender address verification.
> Spammers aren't verifying addresses on incoming email.

What about spam pretending to be OOO ? e.g. "Sorry I am OOO - but you can
always order online", and how would you distinguish between the 2 ?

All the best

Phil

Website Hosting from only £5.00 per month.
www.medwayhosting.com - +44 (0)1634 856965

Digital & Traditional Printing, and much more
www.medwayprint.com - +44 (0)1634 281199