Re: [exim] rejection at transport time

Author: Philip Hazel
To: WJCarpenter
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] rejection at transport time
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, WJCarpenter wrote:

> Once message reception has moved on from routers to transport, are all
> rejections done in the form of generating a bounce message (as opposed
> to an SMTP response code)?

Yes, but your perception is slightly off. Message reception never
involves transports. Routers may be used to verify addresses, but
transports are never invoked. Transports are used only in message
delivery. Delivery does not start until reception is complete and the
message is safely stored on disk. By that time, the SMTP connection is
over. Reception and delivery are two completely separate processes - and
may be well separated in time in some cases.

> Is there any transport that can fail a message and have it result in
> an appropriate SMTP response code?

No.

> Right now, I don't have a centralized source of information about the
> quota status of a user outside of that LDA.

The issue of giving SMTP errors for over-quota mailboxes is one that
arises regularly. It is not straightforward. The only way you can do
that is to arrange for some external program to maintain a file or
database that lists which mailboxes are over quota so that Exim can
interrogate that data at SMTP RCPT time.