[exim] rejection at transport time

Author: WJCarpenter
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] rejection at transport time
I think I know how this plays out, but there are so many handy
exceptions for real use cases in exim that I thought I'd ask. :-)

Once message reception has moved on from routers to transport, are all
rejections done in the form of generating a bounce message (as opposed
to an SMTP response code)? I think so, but I've been pondering
both the book and the spec for a few days and haven't found an
explicit statement to that effect. Is there any transport that can
fail a message and have it result in an appropriate SMTP response
code?

The use case I am looking at is approximately as follows, so I'd also
be interested in approaches others have taken in addressing it. For
(uninteresting in this context) functional reason, I want to use a 3rd
party LDA. The LDA will enforce quotas. I want to avoid backscatter
spam when someone's mailbox gets full and additional spam keeps
pouring in. Right now, I don't have a centralized source of
information about the quota status of a user outside of that LDA.

(My local policy is to never have the system discard what it thinks is
spam, but my users are empowered to do so various ways.  However, some
of them are unsophisticated enough to let their mailboxes fill up with
it.)
--
bill-exim@??? (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119