Re: [exim] Exim 4.67 - how to force usage of a specific aut…

Author: Juergen Edner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.67 - how to force usage of a specific authenticator when acting as a client
Hello,

>> As far as I understood from the documentation Exim selects
>> the authentication mechanism based on which are advertised
>> by the remote server and in which order the client authenticators
>> have been defined in the configuration file.
>> Additionally the parameters 'hosts_require_auth' and 'hosts_try_auth'
>> are influencing how the result of an authentication attempt is
>> interpreted.
>>
>> Now I wonder if it is possible to force usage of a specific
>> authenticator, e.g. CRAM-MD5, when connecting to a specific
>> remote SMTP server and to stop transmitting a message if
>> authentication fails (this can be done by using hosts_require_auth).
>> Although it's possible to configure nearly everything I haven't
>> found a final solution in the Exim documentation yet.
>>
>> Has anyone else an idea how to setup the desired behaviour?
>
> You probably have something like this in your plain/login/cram
> authenticators:
>
> "client_send = authdetails" or client_name/client_secret
>
> Just use an expansion and return no authdetails if you don't want
> to use that particular authenticator for that delivery:
>
> client_send = ${if somecondition{authdetails}{}}

based on this recommendation I've tried to setup the desired
behaviour but without success. Exim has always run into an error
condition when I tried to specify the authenticator at connection
time.
No I wonder if there's ay other way to specify the authenticator
or if it would be possible to add this functionality to your
feature request list.

Best regards,
Jürgen
--