Re: [exim] Exim 4.67 - how to force usage of a specific aut…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Juergen Edner
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim 4.67 - how to force usage of a specific authenticator when acting as a client
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Juergen Edner wrote:

> >> Now I wonder if it is possible to force usage of a specific
> >> authenticator, e.g. CRAM-MD5, when connecting to a specific
> >> remote SMTP server and to stop transmitting a message if
> >> authentication fails (this can be done by using hosts_require_auth).

The forthcoming Exim 4.68 (which I hope to release early in September if
not before - meanwhile you can use the snapshot if you want) contains
this new feature:

 3. Authenticators now have a client_condition option. When Exim is running as
    a client, it skips an authenticator whose client_condition expansion yields
    "0", "no", or "false". This can be used, for example, to skip plain text
    authenticators when the connection is not encrypted by a setting such as:

      client_condition = ${if !eq{$tls_cipher}{}}

    Note that the 4.67 documentation states that $tls_cipher contains the
    cipher used for incoming messages. In fact, during SMTP delivery, it
    contains the cipher used for the delivery. The same is true for
    $tls_peerdn.