[exim] What would you tell the CIO in an "ABCs of Email" ove…

Author: Esther Schindler
To: exim-users
New-Topics: Re: [exim] What would you tell the CIO in an "ABCs of Email" overview?
Subject: [exim] What would you tell the CIO in an "ABCs of Email" overview?
One of the key points that came up when I researched and wrote the
"Five Things CIOs Should Know about Fighting Spam" article (http://
www.cio.com/article/28830) was that they should know the basics of
how email works. Otherwise, said plenty of techies, the CIO won't
have the first idea of what the email admin is complaining about.

So I'm going to do my part. I'm going to write an "ABCs of Email"
article (to accompany the many other ABCs articles we have on
CIO.com, at http://www.cio.com/article/40242 ). I'd like your input
on the topics that should be included, keeping in mind the fact that
the target reader is a CIO, IT manager, or someone who wants to
understand the basics, *not* actively get involved in email management.

You don't need to write an essay for me or inundate me with links
(though hey, if you want to make my life easier I shall not
complain). What I'm looking for, primarily, are the categories of
information that I should cover. In other words, if your CIO had an
email ephiphany and asked you to give a half-hour presentation, what
would you include?

This won't be an "Expert says..." article nor will it be "Geek on the
street says...." I intend to compile and research the "least you need
to know" for the not-necessarily-techie bosses out there. And
hopefully the end result will be that you have one less dumb question
to deal with in your life.

So: any suggestions?

Esther Schindler
senior online editor, CIO.com