Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

Author: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

On 2 May 2007, at 22:29, Stefan Klatt wrote:
> What about a precompiled configfile for the next version?
> If the configfile changes only one configfile compilation is
> necessary.
> This would save a lot of cputime.

I *so* nearly wrote a message suggesting an equivalent to (the old,
now dropped) sendmail frozen config yesterday.

However I decided that explaining this to the people who did not
recognise the tongue in cheek nature of the comment would probably be
more trouble than its worth.

The thing we could, of course, take from sendmail, is to do macro
expansion outside the MTA - ie pre-process a macro-ised config file
into the real config file using the macro preprocessor of choice (in
my case not M4). You can then make things arbitrarily complex
without a run-time hit.

    Nigel.