Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros

Author: Stefan Klatt
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Idea: Predefined macros
Hi Nigel,

>> On 2 May 2007, at 22:29, Stefan Klatt wrote:
>> What about a precompiled configfile for the next version?
>> If the configfile changes only one configfile compilation is
>> necessary.
>> This would save a lot of cputime.
> I *so* nearly wrote a message suggesting an equivalent to (the old,
> now dropped) sendmail frozen config yesterday.

Brr.... i didn't thought about this horibble extreme version of
precompile...

> The thing we could, of course, take from sendmail, is to do macro
> expansion outside the MTA - ie pre-process a macro-ised config file
> into the real config file using the macro preprocessor of choice (in
> my case not M4). You can then make things arbitrarily complex
> without a run-time hit.

In my humbled opinion its faster to save the interpreted (compiled)
config file exim internal use to a file and use this until the
configfile or a macrooption exim called with is changed.

Like Python... the interpreter compile a program (not every file!) on
the fly save the compilation to disk and use it if you call the program.

Mfg.
Stefan Klatt

- --
CaC, Computer and Communication
Inhaber Stefan Klatt
Triftstrasse 9
60528 Frankfurt
Germany

Tel.: +49-(0)172-6807809
Tel.: +49-(0)69-67808-900

begin:vcard
fn:Stefan Klatt
n:Klatt;Stefan
org:CaC
adr:;;Triftstrasse 9;Frankfurt;Hessen;60528;Germany
email;internet:stefan.klatt@???
title:Netzwerkspezialist
tel;cell:+49-172-6807809
version:2.1